Wednesday, March 9, 2011

a couple sketches

So these sketches are SUPER ROUGH but I think we can get the idea.
Here are two. One for the inside in the lobby area where that box was, and then one outside near the pillars in the front.

The tree I was sketching is not specific, but I know Hunter pointed out that the Olive tree might be the tree we use, considering its symbol and meaning.. so just imagine an olive tree instead of the mutated hand looking trees I sketched.


















So this is a sketch for the front of the building. I was thinking it could be something inset into the pillar in the front. that way we don't necessarily have to make a new base or frame for it, but instead dig one out and then embellish it as we see necessary. I saw a half circle coming out of the wall where the water could sit. Then I imagined the tree to either be rooting from within the bottom of the half circle bowl, or sitting on an island built into the bowl amidst the water. Either way I saw the tree as a sculptural form that could sit within the water bowl and be either surrounded by or decorated with lights. I thought we could use the fabric or other textiles to embellish the inside of what is inset.. so what is shaded in in the sketch. I thought then it would be nice to have a poetic message engraved into the remaining section of the pillar.. that would need to match the rest of the altar either with the fabric or changing the material to mimic that of the altar.



















This is the sketch for what could go on the inside.. although I suppose these sketches could be interchangeable for either site since they are somewhat similar with some simple differences. I imagined this to be structured similarly with a half circle bowl that would be filled with water with a tree coming out of it. Only this time the tree would be printed or painted/ collaged on the back of the altar so that it is not necessarily sitting in the water bowl. So the image would sit at the wall where the half circle bowl of water would meet and therefore reflect the image of the tree into the water. I saw the fabric and lighting working in similar ways, draped around the inside and bottom to frame it. For this sketch I also remember Jose talking about how hands might be an interesting element to bring in and I liked the idea that the altar is being held by hands, God's hands, or the hands of friends, loved ones, neighbors etc. So I thought it would be interesting to see how we can incorporate hands into the altar.

ALSO!! I didn't sketch this, but I really liked the use of the labyrinth, and maybe we can impose a labyrinth within the water bowl, it might have an intersting effect sitting in water, and it could be a nice design/texture/detail to have in the water bowl mixed with other collaged symbols or imagery. Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment